Creamy Cauliflower Pakora Soup
My husband and I often crave pakoras, deep-fried fritters from India. I wanted to get the same flavors but use a healthier cooking technique, so I made soup using all the classic spices and our favorite veggie, cauliflower! —Melody Johnson, DePere, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Water or additional vegetable stock
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, bring first 14 ingredients to a boil. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Adjust consistency as desired with water (or additional stock). Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve hot, with lime wedges if desired.
- Freeze option: Before adding cilantro, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Sprinkle with cilantro. If desired, serve with lime wedges.