Can’t Believe It’s Meatless Egg Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 large egg whites
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen vegetarian breakfast sausage patties, thawed and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, eggs and milk. Stir in hash browns, crumbled sausage, cheese, salt, pepper and onion mixture.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 256 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 170mg cholesterol, 733mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 26, 2013
This used to be such a staple, my husband got tired of it. I broke the rules by adding turkey Italian sausage, left out the onion & peppers, substituting real milk and shredded cheese. Also left out the egg whites & used 4 eggs. Kicked up the flavor by adding a tasty seasoning.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.