- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- With a sharp knife, slice 1/2 in. off the top of the onions; peel onions. Cut each into 16 wedges to within 1/2 in. of root end.
- Place each onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around onions and seal tightly. Place in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and mustard. Open foil; fold foil around onions. Brush butter mixture over onions; sprinkle with bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Bake 18-22 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with onions. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBlooming Onions
"Onion was good. Tender with good flavor. Loved the easy prep. Add the horseradish to the sauce as others recommend, and I agree it is a necessity. If you are looking for a duplicate of the fried variety, you may be disappointed. But overall, I enjoyed it and will make again."
"I loved the sauce but the onion was only ok."
"I just made this last week and my husband and I really liked it. I also added horseradish to the sauce."
"Very good! The family liked it. Now I'm looking forward to serving it at a party."
"We also liked pulling all the segments apart after the first 20 minutes and coating all the onion slices with the mustard/butter mix and then sprinkling with the topping (of which we used Amaranth Cereal Flakes for a g/f version). It was easier to get the portions on plates for sharing."
"This was fabulous! I will make it again and again. I never thought I'd be able to really enjoy a blooming onion without the guilt, but this was delicious! I did however use regular sour cream and panko crumbs as it's what I had on hand. I will definitely make sure I have fat free sour cream on hand for this in the future. The only thing that I added to the sauce was horseradish, as I like it spicy...just a personal preference. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!!"
"This tasted great! I will definitely make this again."