Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Top with a another sheet of phyllo; brush with butter. Cut into six 4-1/2-in. squares. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.) Repeat with remaining phyllo and butter.
- Stack three squares of layered phyllo in each of four greased muffin cups, rotating squares so corners do not overlap. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cheese into each cup. Top with one egg. Sprinkle with green onion, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are completely set and pastry is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the salsa ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Serve with egg cups.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 198 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Mar 7, 2018
I have made eggs in muffins tins before and wile I liked them the tins wre a pain to clean even after buttering the tins. Using the phyllo dough was great as they just slipped right out.
Jan 21, 2009
These are really good. You can make them the night before and then put them in a zip-lock bag in the frig and eat them cold of zap in the mirco wave for 10 sec or so. This is nice at our big family get together at the holidays. People don't all get up at the same time or some like to shower before they eat. They are ready when you are.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.