Grilled Onion Bloom
In Bastrop, Louisiana, Johnnie McLeod grills this buttery herb-flavored side dish alongside the main course. "It's good when served with almost any type of grilled meat," Johnnie explains.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Grill: 30 min.
- 1 large sweet onion (14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- With a sharp knife, slice 1/2 in. off the top of the onion; peel onion. Cut into 12-16 wedges to within 1/2 in. of root end.
- Place onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Open wedges slightly; sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Drizzle with butter. Fold foil around onion and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 65 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jun 21, 2010
I grilled mine for 40 minutes to make sure it was really tender. It smelled amazing when I opened the foil. We really liked it - it was a nice complement to the steak!