I was inspired to make this recipe after I couldn't stop thinking of a similar dish served in my elementary school cafeteria more than 50 years ago! I like that it's quick to make, and everyone from my husband to my grandchildren just love it. —Ronna Farley, Rockville, Maryland
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes to desired consistency, adding butter, cream and the remaining salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with fried onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef and Mushrooms with Smashed Potatoes in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017