Mushroom-Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes
When I started cooking, the only mushrooms I used were the button variety. Now I love experimenting with different types. This recipe is so filling, it can be served as a meatless entree. —Nadine Mesch, Mount Healthy, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound each sliced fresh shiitake, baby portobello and button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 pounds red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. If desired, stir in sherry and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until evaporated. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in rosemary, salt and pepper. Gradually add cheese, stirring until melted. Remove from heat.
- Arrange potatoes in an even layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with mushrooms and sauce mixture; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 442 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom & Scalloped Potatoes with Rosemary & Gruyere in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.