Beef and Mushrooms with Smashed Potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes to desired consistency, adding butter, cream and the remaining salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with fried onions.
1 serving: 517 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 896mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Feb 29, 2020So delicious!! Probably one of my families favorites!
Oct 24, 2019After reading the recipe, I knew my family would love this; however, I too, thought it sounded too bland for our tastes. I added Worcestershire sauce which helped.
May 4, 2019Did not care for this recipe. I will not make again.
Feb 11, 2019Fairly quick and certainly easy to make. It makes for a great filling winter meal.
Jan 18, 2019My husband and I really loved this recipe. Very tasty and the ingredients are usually what you have in the kitchen already. All I needed to buy was the half and half.
Jan 9, 2019Fla schools use lipton soup mix in recipe with broth adds flavor.
Jan 9, 2019Been making my version of this for years. Always called it "Hamburger Gravy". It's a fine dish. Bland? I suppose if your taste buds are dead.
Jan 14, 2018
Incredibly bland and uninteresting. I tried doctoring it with carrots and green beans, herbs and garlic powder and still it couldn't save this dish. Pass.
Jan 11, 2018
My daughter and I liked it a lot! But it seemed to be a little bland? Had to add a lot more spices, is it just me?
Dec 31, 1969
Could you use another choice of meat for this recipe, beef tips, etc???