Baked Ziti and Sausage
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups uncooked ziti or other small tube pasta
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; place in a large bowl. In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and cut into 1/2-in. slices.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour over pasta; toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese, parsley, and remaining Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Spoon half of the pasta mixture into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with cottage cheese mixture. Add sausage to the remaining pasta mixture; spoon over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 22, 2019
I first made this recipe about 10 years ago. It was delicious! I remembered it recently and was searching for it and was so happy to have found it! I’ve added it to our menu rotation and have happy tummy’s in the house!
May 5, 2018
Best baked ziti recipe I have ever made, I add a little ricotta to the cottage but by far this is fantastic! One of my families favorite dinner meals, the only issue is that it only lasts one meal with fighting over it, best feeling a wife and mother can have!!
Feb 5, 2015
This was easy enough and was good. My kids weren't fond of it but the hubby loved it!
Dec 10, 2014
we didn't care for this so wont make again
Aug 9, 2014
Everyone loved this will definitely keep this one around great flavor easy to throw together!
Mar 29, 2013
When I made the white sauce I added some Hollandaise sauce leftover from breakfast and it was magnificent.
Jul 14, 2011
I have a large family so its easy to make and it feeds everyone.I love it.
Feb 12, 2011
The white sauce is a great change from regular baked ziti. Had a good taste.
Nov 28, 2010
I made this recipe with bulk Italian sausage instead of sausage links. Super Yummy! :D
Oct 7, 2010
This was absolutely delicious! Family loved it!!