When I entered this bread for a Los Angeles County Fair contest...and I won third place! The braided, soft bread is wonderful served with a hot bowl of soup.—Marina Castle, Canyon Country, California
Recommended: 33 Non-Scary Bread Recipes Anyone Can Bake
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, cheese and bacon mixture. On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Spoon half of the filling lengthwise down center third of each rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch both ends to seal.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brush loaves with egg; sprinkle with parsley and poppy seeds. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
Originally published as Bacon & Cheese Filled Loaves in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014