Autumn Harvest Pumpkin Pie
This is the best holiday pie I've ever tasted. Use canned pumpkin if you don't have fresh pumpkins or to save time. —Stan Strom, Gilbert, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups canned pumpkin (about 19 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix first four ingredients; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Whisk together egg, water and vinegar; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; shape each into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll larger portion to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edge. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Roll smaller portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured leaf-shaped cookie cutter; place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together filling ingredients until blended; transfer to crust. Bake on a lower oven rack 10 minutes. Cover edge loosely with foil. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours. Top with leaf cutouts before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared apple butter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 647 calories, 28g fat (12g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Sugar Pumpkin Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.