Apple Cranberry Chicken Salad
At home in Salem, Oregon, Christine Vaught packs her chunky and nutritious salad with crunchy apple and celery, dried cranberries, blue cheese and almonds for a wonderful blend of tastes and textures. HEALTHY OUTLOOK Using fat-free instead of regular mayonnaise in this chicken salad slashes nearly 30 g fat per serving! That makes room in the recipe for tasty bacon, blue cheese and almonds.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken, celery, apple and cranberries. Stir in mayonnaise. Serve on lettuce; sprinkle with bacon, blue cheese and almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 352 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Orchard Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.