Almond Wild Rice
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 5-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup broth to a boil. Remove from the heat; add raisins and set aside (do not drain). In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of broth and 2 tablespoons of butter to a boil. Add wild rice; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until the rice is tender; drain if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine the brown rice, 2 tablespoons butter and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender; drain if necessary.
- In a small skillet, saute the almonds in remaining butter until lightly browned. In a serving bowl, combine the wild rice, brown rice, raisin mixture, almonds, parsley, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 305 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 8, 2014
This had nice flavors and a pretty presentation. I would make it again.
Oct 23, 2013
I loved it!
Mar 31, 2013
This is a favorite recipe of mine for Easter and Thanksgiving, and has become somewhat of a family tradition. I sometimes use a gourmet blend of different rices, and use a variety of dried fruit, like a mixture of organic dried cranberrires, dried diced apricots, and dried diced peach pieces, along with golden raisins to taste. Too make the dish more healthful, I usually substitute olive oil and reduced salt broth for the rice. I also use walnut oil to slowly brown the almond slivers. If I want a little butter flavor I might add a tablespoon or two at the end for flavor. I also leave out the parsley and added salt at the end.
Jan 7, 2012
i found the flavors over powering
Feb 5, 2008
This recipe is definitely worth the effort. Once you cook everything you just mix it all together! The flavor is wonderful! It is surely one I'll make again. But be sure you have at least one to two hours to get it all done.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.