Almond-Crusted Pork Loin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
Makes4 servings (2 cups salsa)
- Vegetable oil spray
- 6 ounces slivered California almonds (1-1/4 cups chopped)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2-pounds boneless pork loin
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a roasting pan with foil and place a meat rack on the foil. Spray with vegetable oil spray. Coarsely grind almonds in a food processor. Mix almonds, garlic and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites to form soft peaks. Remove visible fat from the pork. Roll the pork in the egg whites and then in the almond mixture. Roll once more in the egg whites and in the almond mixture again. Place pork on the rack and press any remaining almonds onto the pork.
- Roast 1 hour, or until a thermometer reads 160°F. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Mix the salsa ingredients together. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with pork.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 499 calories, 30g fat (6g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 46g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 19, 2013
This was a different way for me to prepare pork, but when all is said and done, it was just average. To me, it seemed like the pork and salsa didn't really go together; they were each okay on their own, but nothing special together. I will probably not make this again.
Jan 11, 2013
All the almonds on bottom were soggy. Was not worth the time and effort to make it again.
Dec 25, 2012
Turned out very well. It's a beautiful presentation. I also added 1/2 inch cooked carrot slices all around it for color. Take the time to trim the fat. It was delicious!
Oct 1, 2011
Lots of work, but is a nice change to regular pork roast.
Oct 31, 2010
This was ok, but there was nothing particularly great about it. I don't regret making it but probably won't again.
Jul 28, 2010
We really liked this recipe. My kids loved it too which is always a bonus. My husband didn't care for the salsa with the pork. I will definitely be making this again.
Feb 26, 2010
Loved it. The almonds gave the porkloin a smoky flavor that was delicious. I didn't have the ingredients for the salsa -but will definitely give it a try the next time. Thanks for a great recipe!
Dec 31, 2009
I made this for our special Christmas Eve dinner in memory of my beloved mother-in-law, who loved almonds. It did not disappoint. The crunchy crust was great. The egg whites really seemed to help the crust stay put. I wasn't sure where/how the salsa would fit in, but it added an interesting dimension to the mild taste of the pork.