- 3 pounds potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Beat in the cream cheese, butter, milk, salt and pepper until fluffy. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Spread sour cream over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese, bacon and chives. Bake 5 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for"Everything" Mashed Potato Casserole
"Perhaps it was because I used light sour cream, but the amount of sour cream used in the recipe made it too runny. I will make this again because it is REALLY tasty, but I will half the s.c. Overall delicious though!"
"I made this casserole for the first time a couple of years ago during the holidays. I actually did the shortcut by using instant mashed potatoes. The preparation takes a bit of time, it is well worth it. This dish had become a family favorite, and everyone requests me to make it for every special family get together or holiday. This dish is wonderful paired with any kind of meat or poultry. since we are on the respective low fat low sodium diet, I use fat free cream cheese and fat free cheddar cheese. The taste is still wonderful , creamy, delicious and filling. Definitely worth trying!"
"Wonderful! And don't be afraid of all the calories/carbs, etc. Use low fat or no fat cheeses, Smart Balance butter, skim or 2% milk and turkey bacon. Once you put it all together, you'll never know the difference. Thanks SO much for the recipe."
"I made this originally for Easter some time ago. I used "instant" mashed potatoes to shorten prep and serving time. My husband is also on a low-fat diet so I use no fat sour cream, and use less bacon. It is absolutely a family favorite, and it is requested by my kids at every special occasion...absolutely satisfying and delicious!"
"This is delish! The cream cheese, while delicious, makes the potatoes shiny and a little pasty. I may either reduce or eliminate it next time. I may also try reduced fat cheddar, cream cheese, sour cream and milk."
"It was alright. But the sour cream taste was so overpowering. Needed more bacon as well. The only thing I changed was I was a tad short on the cream cheese, but it was almost correct minus a spoonful. I also didn't have chives, so I used half a tablespoon of rosemary instead. My mom loved it though. Doubt I'll make it again any time soon. But probably will try it again."