Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until very tender; drain well.
- In a bowl, mash potatoes. Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, onion, egg, salt and pepper; beat until fluffy. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 328 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 27, 2019
These potatoes are creamy and delicious! They reminded me of the filling in a pierogi. I did not add cheese on top.
Sep 14, 2019
First words out of my boyfriend's mouth after inhaling these heavenly taters: "I need this in my mouth, all the time, everyday, for the rest of my life." And I agreed, wholeheartedly. I didn't have any onion so I used a bit of onion powder instead ??, also added 5 strips of cooked bacon before putting it in the oven ??, and then put it under the broiler for a couple minutes after topping it with (extra) cheese at the end ???? Holy bomb. ?????? Killer recipe, thanks for sharing this little bit if heaven. ??????????
May 20, 2019
These potatoes are amazing as is! I will definitely be making these again.
Nov 22, 2017
I have been making this dish for family gatherings since it was published in 2002. 15 years later, I still get requests.
Apr 17, 2017
Wow these were really delicious! A little firmer than I like my mashed potatoes though, so next time I might add some cream. But man are they good!
Feb 9, 2014
The best darn cheesy mashed potato recipe the whole family can enjoy! Never have ANY leftover!!!
Jul 15, 2012
I made these to go with dinner tonight, an my husband has already requested that I make them more often! I'm thinking of playing with a couple different cheeses even. These potatoes were so creamy and delicious... Definitely a keeper!
Apr 12, 2012
Made this for Easter & everyone loved it! I did not add the onion. Next time I will only add 1 teaspoon of the salt - it was definitely too salty for my taste. Based on the expression on my mom's face, it was too salty for her, too, but she was too polite to say so.
Jan 31, 2012
I didn't peel the potatoes, so it gave the dish an earthy, hearty feel and taste. I did decrease the cream cheese by half and used 1% milk to moisten and cut calories.
Jan 2, 2012
this were a HUGE hit at our family Christmas gathering...will definitely make again!