- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, optional
- 2-3/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 9-in.-square baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugars, butter, water and, if desired, coffee granules; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add 1-3/4 cups chocolate chips and stir until melted. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until foamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla; gradually whisk in chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake on a lower oven rack 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Lifting with parchment paper, remove brownies from pan. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Ultimate Fudgy Brownies
"Been adding Espresso powder and chocolate chips to my brownies for years! It's the secret ingredient that makes everyone go WOW!"
"These are sooo good. Ina Garten (barefoot contessa) always adds instant coffee to her chocolate recipes so I do too! You don't taste the coffee, they just add a depth of flavor. Thanks for the recipe!"
"I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out exactly as the picture. They are AMAZING!! I used Hershey Dark choc chips. They are quite rich but taste so indulgent. I want to try them again with milk choc chips to see how that turns out. I baked them in a 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inch pan, on the very bottom rack at 325 for 40 minutes then moved them to the center rack for 10 more minutes. I also will try a little larger pan next time just to help the center cook a little better."
"Fantastic brownie!!! This is thick! This is chocolaty! This is Fudgy! It was everything it promised it would be. I have made these 4 times already and I even tried it in a 13x9 pan, baking less time of course. All were fantastic although I personally preferred the thicker ones. My old brownie recipe will never be made in my kitchen again."
"OMG this is the best recipe ever! I had just baked a batch of brownies from another recipe site and they promised to be fudgey, I was very disappointed although my other half was very happy with them. I then stumbled across this recipe so returned back to the kitchen and I am not disappointed that I did. I followed the recipe to the tee and after 45 minutes in the oven I took them out (the middle was still a little goey when tested, but brownies continue to set when removed from the oven i hear) by the time I cut them, they were absolutely perfect, fudgey but yet cakey , with a lovely crackly top. Having sent some round to family, I now have requests to make more. If you like the type of Brownie which clogs your palette, I promise you'll love these."
"These were the best brownies ever; however, they weren't cooked all the way through after 50 minutes and they were too thick for how decadent they are. I recommend following the recipe exactly except bake them in a 9X11 baking dish."
"Very delicious! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because they fall apart and the parchment paper makes them not so pretty. Next time I will try a 9x12 like maryowhalin said. Maybe that would make them not fall apart."
"These make the best brownies! They are similar to high end brownies you can buy at a fancy bakery. But the recipe was easy enough for my kids to follow. We did not use the coffee granules and we added all the chocolate chips to the pan at the same time to be melted instead of folding some with the batter. I will be making these often!"
"I thought these were excellent! We are not brownie lovers but REALLY liked these! However, I used semi-sweet chips as I had a surplus of these chips and wanted to use them. Also, next time I will use a 9x12 pan."
"These brownies had excellent flavor. I liked the coffee granules for that extra bit of flavor. I followed the directions, with the exception of substituting semisweet chocolate for the bittersweet. I am not sure what was wrong, but these took forever to bake. I am not sure I would make these again. I'll search for other recipes to try first."