Tomato Quiche Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook over medium-high heat until liquid is almost evaporated, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese into bottom of pie shell. Cover with tomato mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Beat in cream. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 40 minutes longer or until top begins to brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Tomato Quiche
Sort By :
"If you love Tomato Pie you will love Tomato Quiche. I added 4 strips of bacon, crumbled and a 1/4 tea of dried basil. I omitted the salt ingredient because of using bacon. Now our family is confused about which dish is their favorite. Nice problem to have. Make sure your tomatoes are as dry as you can get them or it will be soggy otherwise."
"I really liked this dish and am surprised no other reviews mentioned how salty it is.I will definitely make it again but will omit salt completely I am not normally so salt sensitive,even my boyfriend commented about it,and he never comments about salt. Otherwise,had great flavor.I used 9inch pie crust,couldn't fit all cream/cheese mixture in,definitely use 10 inch crust."
"I made this using Roma tomatoes from my garden. I seeded and peeled and chopped enough to make 2 cups. When I evaporated the water there was just enough tomatoes to cover the bottom of my deep dish 10 pie pan. I also used fresh thyme as I didn't have any dried time in my cupboard. I didn't have the same problem as other people who wrote they had too much filling. I actually use 5 eggs to get the filling to the top! My family loves this recipe."
"This is a great recipe made as written and also a great basic recipe you can add your own favorites to. I like to add fresh basil to this. Thanks for a great recipe."