- 1-1/4 pounds boneless beef shoulder top blade or flat iron steaks
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Hot cooked rice
- Place steaks in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add mushrooms and pepper. In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, tomato sauce, soup mix and basil; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Tomato-Basil Steak
Sort By :
"Very easy dish. . The broth that you end up with has a LOT of delicious flavor. Like the other reviewer, I subbed chuck steak since it tenderizes nicely in the slow cooker. Next time, I'll add the peppers closer to the end of the cooking time as I prefer them crisp tender."
"Delicious! Made this in class and it turned out perfect! We used boneless chuck steak for the meat. I will definitely make this again!"