Even though these are whole wheat rolls they have a light texture and are soft and tender. This recipe reminds me of lots of happy meals with my family.—Wilma Orlano, Carroll, Iowa
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups bread flour
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over the wheat bran, flaxseed, salt and cinnamon. Add the honey and oil. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, whole wheat flour and wheat bran mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough bread flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Whole Wheat Rolls in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p45
Reviews for Tender Whole Wheat Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review