- 2/3 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large heavy skillet, cook the pecans, 2 tablespoons vinegar, cayenne and cinnamon over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, mustard, salt and remaining vinegar and sugar; drizzle over greens and toss to coat. Arrange the greens, pear slices and pecans on six salad plates. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Taste-of-Fall Salad
"The pecans really made this salad...they were delicious! It's a good salad. I substituted an apple for the pear as that is what I had on hand and it was good. I look forward to trying it with pears next time."
"I love the sound of this salad and want to make it for Christmas Eve. However, at dinner there will someone with a tree nut allergy. Is there a non-tree nut (or even totally different ingredient) that I can add that will give similar taste/flavor of the pecans?"
"LOVED this salad!! So many textures and flavors, and the pears were a nice addition, something different. The cayenne pepper added to the pecans was not spicy at all...gave them a burst of flavor. For sure a keeper!!!"
"Every time we serve this salad to our guests, they request the recipe. Great flavor and wonderful texture."