Summer Fruit ‘n’ Pasta Salad
I'm always making up recipes, and this refreshing salad came about when I wanted something cool yet spicy to eat during hot summers. Serve it as a meatless main course or as a side dish at barbecues. —Donna Williams, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons snipped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 medium tart green apples, chopped
- 2 medium red apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups seedless grapes
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 medium firm bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain. In a bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, salt and hot pepper sauce.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta, apples, grapes, celery and mandarin oranges. Gently stir in 1 cup yogurt mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate salad and remaining yogurt mixture for 2-3 hours. Just before serving, stir in bananas, walnuts and remaining yogurt mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Summer Fruit 'n' Pasta Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004