Summertime Tomato-Melon Salad
Looking for a savory summer salad? The combination of tomatoes, cantaloupe, avocado and greens sings with freshness and health.—Carolyn Kumpe, El Dorado, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 4 cups small baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed cantaloupe
- 1 package (8 ounces) feta cheese, cubed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch watercress, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- CORIANDER-LIME VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, cantaloupe, cheese, avocado, watercress, basil and onion.
- In a dry small skillet over medium heat, toast coriander seeds until aromatic, about 2-3 minutes. Cool. Transfer to a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle; coarsely grind.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lime juice, vinegar, honey, lime zest, salt, pepper and coriander. Pour over tomato mixture and gently toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 165 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Summertime Tomato-Melon Salad in Country Woman August/September 2012