Super Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 pounds beef top round steak (about 1 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove steak from bag; flatten to 3/4-in. thickness.
- In a large skillet, brown steak on both sides in oil over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, tomato soup, onion, marjoram, thyme, paprika, cloves if desired, bay leaf and remaining salt; pour over beef.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Super Swiss Steak(2)
Sort By :
I have made this several times & its the best Swiss steak I have ever had. There are only 2 of us & within 2 days the steak is gone. I add 4 cloves garlic & also slice up an additional onion as we love both. The sauce is the best sauce I've ever eaten. Wonderful especially on cold days, but is really good any day. I've passed this on to friends as when I ate the leftovers at work, I was barraged by coworkers because it looked & smelled so good!!
We absolutely loved this dish! We followed the recipe in addition to adding 2 tbsps of brown sugar which really topped off the flavor. We will definitely be making this again!