- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 loaf (26 inches) French bread, halved lengthwise
- Dried parsley flakes
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 4 slices deli ham
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside.
- Hollow out top and bottom of bread, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread thin layer of mayonnaise over bread; sprinkle with parsley.
- Fill each half with cheese mixture. Wrap pickle spears in ham; place lengthwise over cheese mixture on bottom half of loaf. Replace top; press together to seal.
- Wrap in foil; refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, cut into 1-in. slices. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Stuffed Bread Appetizers
Sort By :
"This is a winner. I added some chopped black olives and pimentos and that worked fine. I also left the ham off some of it to offer it to some vegetarian friends."
"May way 5 stars. We don't any of the raw bell pepper or celery so I added Ortrga, shredded carrots and also pimientos (I know that they are roasted red peppers) 2 8oz. of CC and sharp cheddar. a Good crunchy pickles and good cut of Ham"
"I made this recipe for a tea party and used a soft baguette. I wrapped it up the night before and put it in the refrigerator and sliced it up right before serving. It was a hit. The ladies loved it. My friend added some shredded carrots to it also and served it at a birthday party for kids and adults and they all loved it. Make sure you use really good crunchy pickles."
"I was searching for something quick and easy to bring to a "Dish to Pass" banquet. I think I found it....this sounds like the ticket!"
"Fern,I think you missed the top line of the directions. It says to fill both halves of the bread with cheese mixture. By pressing both sides together firmly and wrapping in foil or plastic wrap then refrigerating over night, the two halves of of the bread should be pretty well molded together so that slicing in one piece should be easy. DVogt "