- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Dried parsley flakes
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 4 slices deli ham
- Combine first six ingredients. Hollow out top and bottom of bread, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread thin layer of mayonnaise over bread; sprinkle with parsley.
- Fill each half with cheese mixture. Wrap pickle spears in ham; place lengthwise over cheese mixture on bottom half of loaf. Replace top; press to seal. Wrap in foil; refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, cut into 1-in. slices. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Stuffed Bread Appetizers
"Loved this recipe. I used a soft french bread, cut it the same way. I used chipped ham from our deli and just laid hamburger drained dill pickle chips on top before I closed it up. I didn't use the water chestnuts, as I didn't have any. Didn't take long for us to scarf this one up!!! You could really add anything you like."
"I added banana peppers and it was well enjoyed by the family!"
"I made this and liked the idea of a do ahead. I did make a few changes. used 2 packages of onion chive cream cheese spread, black olices, scallions"
"It is a good recipe with modifications and would be great for a party. The extra 3 oz. besides the 8 oz. of cream cheese seemed to be too much. Also, needs more veggies - I added extra celery, red onion, pecans and craisins. Did not add water chestnuts however but might next time. Don't use baguette as bread as it's too chewy - bread will tear apart trying to take a bite. Do get soft French bread. Definitely need more ham. I used Claussen pickles, quartered, with ham wrapped around each spear - use 3 slices of deli ham for each spear."