- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 loaf (26 inches) French bread, halved lengthwise
- Dried parsley flakes
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 4 slices deli ham
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside.
- Hollow out top and bottom of bread, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread thin layer of mayonnaise over bread; sprinkle with parsley.
- Fill each half with cheese mixture. Wrap pickle spears in ham; place lengthwise over cheese mixture on bottom half of loaf. Replace top; press together to seal.
- Wrap in foil; refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, cut into 1-in. slices. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Stuffed Bread Appetizers
Sort By :
"I added banana peppers and it was well enjoyed by the family!"
"I made this and liked the idea of a do ahead. I did make a few changes. used 2 packages of onion chive cream cheese spread, black olices, scallions"
"It is a good recipe with modifications and would be great for a party. The extra 3 oz. besides the 8 oz. of cream cheese seemed to be too much. Also, needs more veggies - I added extra celery, red onion, pecans and craisins. Did not add water chestnuts however but might next time. Don't use baguette as bread as it's too chewy - bread will tear apart trying to take a bite. Do get soft French bread. Definitely need more ham. I used Claussen pickles, quartered, with ham wrapped around each spear - use 3 slices of deli ham for each spear."
"This is a winner. I added some chopped black olives and pimentos and that worked fine. I also left the ham off some of it to offer it to some vegetarian friends."