- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture.
- Spread half of the batter evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Carefully spread filling on top. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.
- For topping, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in flour and sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Lay foil on lower rack to catch any juice fruit spillovers.
- Place coffee cake on middle rack; bake 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut in squares. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Sort By :
"This is wonderful!! I did bake it a little longer because it so tall in my 9 x 13 pan."
"I am always looking for ways to use the rhubarb that we grow and you certainly can't go wrong when you pair it with fresh strawberries. This recipe is perfect! I didn't have any lemons on hand so I actually substituted some fresh pineapple juice which I happened to have but other than that I made it as the recipe is written and wouldn't change a thing. I will make this again and again and again!"
"Have made this for years! We LOVE it!"
"What no cinnimon???"
"This recipe is amazing! It is a hit with everyone who tries it - and I have been asked to share the recipe many times. I definitely wouldn't change a single thing in this recipe."