- 1 pound dried green split peas (2 cups)
- 7 cups water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring the peas, water and oil to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Split Pea and Ham Soup
"If you really want to add extra flavor, use the ham bone too. A little celery salt helps with flavor. Also, if you like a less mushy pea, use the whole peas or a combination of split and whole."
"I followed the directions exactly and found the peas way overcooked. I ended up adding two cups of water and a teaspoon of ham base for flavor. Next time I will cook peas less and add veggies earlier!"
"absolutely wonderful. great soup for the St. Pat's potluck"
"Really good! Followed the recipe almost exactly and couldn't stop eating it!"
"We liked this soup a lot. Thanks for sharing it! I used the ingredients listed here but the method shown in the video on this page. For example, "sweating" the carrots, celery and onions to soften them up a bit, then adding the dried split peas and other ingredients directly into that pot. I also substituted chicken stock for water to get more flavor. The split peas really don't need to simmer for two hours .... 35-45 minutes is more than enough time."
"I only cooked the peas for 30 minutes, then added the next eight for another 30 minutes."
"Very good. my whole family loved it! I would definitely make again. This will become a go to recipe for leftover ham!"
"Maybe I am missing something but didn't think it was that great. It was ok but don't know if I will be making it again."
"WONDERFUL!! I never thought I liked split pea soup until we made this. It is soooo good! We will definitely make this over and over again."