Not a winter goes by that I don't fix at least one batch of this traditional pea soup. It's a hot and hearty meal that really warms up my family.
- 1 pound dried green split peas (2 cups)
- 7 cups water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring the peas, water and oil to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Split Pea and Ham Soup in Country Pork 1996, p42
Reviews for Split Pea and Ham Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review