Spicy Chicken Tomato Pitas Recipe
- TOMATO RELISH:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- CHICKEN PITAS:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- In a bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Add tomatoes, onion and parsley; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Combine cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander, pepper flakes and salt; rub onto both sides of chicken. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Cut chicken into slices. Serve in pita halves with relish. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Chicken Tomato Pitas
Sort By :
The chicken had just enough spicy flavor. The tomato topping tasted so good and full of flavor. My vegetarian niece really enjoyed the tomato mixture and asked for the recipe.
Good flavor. I normally don't cook with these spices but this was very good so don't let the spices scare you away. Whole family loved it.
I made this with a little more red pepper flakes on the chicken because I love heat. Very healthy with good flavor. Easy to do. I put a little FF sour cream in the pita for added flavor.
This was fantastic! A new favorite!
I used 10 plum tomatoes from my garden and they were perfect. I thought the relish needed a little something to balance out the acid, so I added some salt and garlic powder. This is such a light and healthy dish that I didn't feel guilty for pigging out! Just be sure to brush your teeth after all that onion!
Absolutely delicious and easy! It seems like a lot of spice to be putting on the chicken, but it comes out great - not too spicy at all. My entire family loved these!
More Recipe Collections
- BBQ Chicken Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Sandwiches >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Chicken Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- July 4th Dinner >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Main Dishes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >