I’m not sure if this is a Mediterranean dish with a Southwestern flair or the other way around. All I know is that it’s ideal for a summer dinner. The tomato relish is yummy as an appetizer with tortilla chips, so you may want to double it. —Cori Cooper, Boise, ID
- TOMATO RELISH:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- CHICKEN PITAS:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- In a bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Add tomatoes, onion and parsley; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Combine cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander, pepper flakes and salt; rub onto both sides of chicken. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Cut chicken into slices. Serve in pita halves with relish. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Chicken Tomato Pitas in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p51
Reviews for Spicy Chicken Tomato Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review