- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake loaves, covering with foil if they darken too rapidly, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1-1-1/4 hours. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- While loaves are still slightly warm, whisk glaze ingredients. Drizzle over loaves, using a baking pan or parchment paper under racks to catch excess. Cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Special Banana Nut Bread
"This is delicious. It is the best banana bread recipe I have found.The orange glaze on top makes it really special."
"Loved this with the touch of orange, made it different than the basic banana nut breads. I also read the recipe wrong and put all of the pecans into the batter and had to add more to the top. Not a problem for me!"
"I've made Banana bread for years, and this is the best I've ever tasted. My friends LOVED it also."
"She was probably baking and texting and missed a task!!"
"I didn't think this recipe was great or outstanding. It wasn't real moist. Maybe I needed to put another banana. Just okay."
"I don't know what that woman did but I have been making this for years,. So Yummy! and it is gone in about 6 hours, thank goodness it makes a second loaf. Freezes great too! My husband and 2 teenage boys beg me to make this one a regular basis, if they would stop eating the bananas! I do not use the glaze."
"OUTSTANDING!! ***** I made the Special Banana Nut bread and didn't change or modify anything about it. The recipe made two full loaves. We ate one; gave the other away. It was moist, flavorful, and didn't disappoint. My sister-in-law (the recipient of the giveaway) has many banana bread recipes but a few days later she said it was the best banana bread she's ever eaten and said she's throwing out all her other recipes. The orange juice glaze gave it a great punch. Thank you for this recipe! This one's a keeper!! *****"
"I was really disappointed. After reading many of the reviews I decided to make this recipe. It is the worst banana nut bread recipe I've made. I really have no idea how it was a contest winning recipe. :("
"Never turning back! Best. Banana. bread. Ever."
"This is an excellent recipe. The only modifications that I made were: I used 1 cup of sugar (instead of 2 cups), I used five very ripe bananas (instead of about 4), I used 1 cup of walnuts (instead of 2 cups of pecans). I also waited a good 10-15 minutes for the loaves to cool down before putting the glaze over them, as some reviewers have mentioned it made a huge difference. I am planning on bringing one loaf to work on Monday. Let's spread the joy! :-) Delicious!"