- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake loaves, covering with foil if they darken too rapidly, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1-1-1/4 hours. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- While loaves are still slightly warm, whisk glaze ingredients. Drizzle over loaves, using a baking pan or parchment paper under racks to catch excess. Cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Special Banana Nut Bread
"Made for teachers along with several other banana bread recipes and this was the first thing gone. Very delicious!"
"Very moist and delicious. Will definitely make again, but would pierce the crust prior to putting on the glaze so it get down into the bread."
"This is very good. I left off the glaze, used walnuts instead of pecans and reduced the sugar to 1 1/2 c. Very moist and more dense which we liked. Will definitely be a regular treat!"
"This is delicious. It is the best banana bread recipe I have found.The orange glaze on top makes it really special."
"Loved this with the touch of orange, made it different than the basic banana nut breads. I also read the recipe wrong and put all of the pecans into the batter and had to add more to the top. Not a problem for me!"
"I've made Banana bread for years, and this is the best I've ever tasted. My friends LOVED it also."
"She was probably baking and texting and missed a task!!"
"I didn't think this recipe was great or outstanding. It wasn't real moist. Maybe I needed to put another banana. Just okay."
"I don't know what that woman did but I have been making this for years,. So Yummy! and it is gone in about 6 hours, thank goodness it makes a second loaf. Freezes great too! My husband and 2 teenage boys beg me to make this one a regular basis, if they would stop eating the bananas! I do not use the glaze."
"OUTSTANDING!! ***** I made the Special Banana Nut bread and didn't change or modify anything about it. The recipe made two full loaves. We ate one; gave the other away. It was moist, flavorful, and didn't disappoint. My sister-in-law (the recipient of the giveaway) has many banana bread recipes but a few days later she said it was the best banana bread she's ever eaten and said she's throwing out all her other recipes. The orange juice glaze gave it a great punch. Thank you for this recipe! This one's a keeper!! *****"