- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 14 kaiser rolls, split
- Cut roast in half. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne; rub over meat. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and chilies. Pour broth around meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on rolls, 1/2 cup on each. Yield: 14 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Southwest Pulled Pork
Sort By :
"I added sweet baby rays honey barbeque sauce to this the last 30 minutes it was cooking. Probably one of the best pulled pork sandwiches i've had."
"I will make this again. The flavor was excellent!"
"I served this with cheese toast and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. I really like the rub and I'm sure I will make this recipe often."
"Good but too peppery; would reduce cayenne & black pepper both by at least 1/2. I also thought it could use some garlic and more salt."
"Nice change from BBQ sauce. Might ad white kidney beans and rotel canned tomatoes next time and turn it into chili. Add more hot peppers if you like your chili hot."