- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the onion, green pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms, soy sauce and molasses.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Smothered Round Steak
Sort By :
"I didn't add the molasses, but the dish still tasted very good."
"I made this shortly after this issue arrived, and it was wonderful; it was even better the next day! I used the molasses, although it sounded odd, but it was really delicious. Thank goodness for recipe search, though, since I can't find the issue with this recipe in it."
"This is delicious and so simple. I don't like canned mushrooms, so added 1 cup of fresh sliced mushrooms instead and it was just delicious!"