Smothered Round Steak Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the onion, green pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms, soy sauce and molasses.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Smothered Round Steak
Sort By :
I didn't add the molasses, but the dish still tasted very good.
I made this again, using the molasses and served it over the egg noodles and it was delicious! Thanks Melinda B. for your review and saying the molasses was good! :) This is great and easy recipe. I still added garlic and Worcestershire also. It makes a great gravy that clings to the egg noodles beautifully.
I made this shortly after this issue arrived, and it was wonderful; it was even better the next day! I used the molasses, although it sounded odd, but it was really delicious. Thank goodness for recipe search, though, since I can't find the issue with this recipe in it.
Very easy and good! I omitted the molasses because it seemed strange to me. I added 1 tablespoon brown sugar ,1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, 3-4 cloves minced garlic and 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger. The last half hour I added in a can of drained water chestnuts and served over jasmine rice. Easiest pepper steak I've ever made! Thanks!
This is delicious and so simple. I don't like canned mushrooms, so added 1 cup of fresh sliced mushrooms instead and it was just delicious!