- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 8 Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns, split
- Place roast in a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, beer, brown sugar, honey, tomato paste, seasonings and, if desired, liquid smoke; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through.
- Using tongs, place meat mixture on bun bottoms. Replace tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork in Simple & Delicious October/November 2014
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2014
"Delicious! My whole family liked this! We ate it with shredded mozzarella cheese on top."
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2014
"Sweet and hot sauce is awesome!It's like tropical BBQ sauce, love it !"