While I don't enjoy drinking beer, I love cooking with it. This quick recipe also goes great on plain hamburger buns with a side of slaw. —Renee Herrington, Plano, Texas
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 8 Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns, split
- Place roast in a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, beer, brown sugar, honey, tomato paste, seasonings and, if desired, liquid smoke; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through.
Using tongs, place meat mixture on bun bottoms. Replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork in Simple & Delicious October/November 2014
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review