- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 8 Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns, split
- Place roast in a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, beer, brown sugar, honey, tomato paste, seasonings and, if desired, liquid smoke; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through.
Using tongs, place meat mixture on bun bottoms. Replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork
Sort By :
"This was delicious! My son and daughter in law were here and everyone loved it! Very easy to do in the crock pot."
"Delicious! My whole family liked this! We ate it with shredded mozzarella cheese on top."
"Sweet and hot sauce is awesome!It's like tropical BBQ sauce, love it !"