- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, pepper and salt; stir in eggs. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in batches over medium heat; drain.
- Place the first five sauce ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker; stir in garlic and seasonings. Add meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts sauce).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Spaghetti & Meatballs
"Recipe was great but I wondered why no mushrooms were mentioned. Anyway, I used a pound of veal and a pound of ground beef for my meatballs and I think I nailed it. Definitely going in my recipe list."
"what a waste of time. 5-6 hours when you could do them in a pot on the stove for less than an hour. And very bland. will not waste my time or money again"
"Never in my life would I have thought to make spaghetti in a slow cooker - but here it is, the dinner recipe that dreams are made of! Plan to serve this as the main dish at our next book club potluck and can't wait, the gals are going to love it. Thinking of trying out with ground turkey and wheat pasta for a "healthy" spin, too."
"So delicious!! Cannot wait to make again!"
"This recipe got me so many compliments! I followed the ingredient list and cooking method exactly. For us, it's a keeper."
"So easy, the house smelled amazing all day while cooking. Used diced tomatoes as someone suggested, other than that made it exactly like the recipe. Other than baked my meatballs instead of frying (they still cook up brown with a little crispness. Loved the addition of the crushed red pepper, just enough zip to the sauce.I am half Italian (the better half) and have been making my grandmothers sauce and meatballs for years, this recipe is so much quicker to toss together and still get the taste of a home made sauce! Thank you!"
"Absolutely loved this recipe! I can't get my 10 year old to eat meat sauce, but she gobbled up the meatballs. I have always wanted a good sauce recipe (we always used jar sauce) and this is the one. Even the picky husband liked it, so it's definitely a keeper! Thank you for sharing Jane!!"
"pretty good...loved the meatballs, but I would mot put the diced tomatoes in....maybe petite diced or just use all sauce, also not a big fan of oregano, so I'd cut in half next time."
"The meatballs were very good, and the sauce was easy to throw together."
"Made this for the first time last night. My husband and son absolutely loved it. Will make this again soon."