I FOUND I could cut down the time in preparing scalloped potatoes by first simmering them on top of the stove in an ovenproof skillet and then slipping it into the oven to finish them nicely with a brown crust.
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 2 large)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Dash each salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 to 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Place half of the potatoes in a greased small ovenproof skillet; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flour. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Dot with butter.
- Add enough cream to fill skillet about three-fourths full. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Carefully place skillet in oven. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Scalloped Potatoes in Reminisce February/March 2008, p49
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review