- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans (1-1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Add beans, water, onion and seasonings to drippings; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir in bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Savory String Beans
"This was delicious!"
"All calorie talk aside, this is an excellent recipe. Super easy. With this tasty combo, I no longer need to search for a green bean recipe that's as good as my mom used to make."
"We have reviewed the recipe and found an error with how the bacon was calculated. The correct number of calories for 1 serving (1 cup) is 180 and the fat is 12 grams. The Nutrition Facts will be updated on the recipe soon.Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for bringing it to our attention.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"Re: calorie content on string beans recipe. When I keyed this recipe into my computer recipe program using 4 slices of thick cut bacon, it calculated the calories to be over 400 per serving! When I changed the recipe to read 4 slices of turkey bacon, it recaluated the calories to be 125 per serving (and the fat to be 5.69g)."
"I agree with rhinde1006...no way would 1 cup have 304 calories! that sounds more like the caloric content of the entire recipe: 4 strips bacon=180 cal, 2 c green beans=80 cal, 1/2 c onion=30 cal."
"How could this dish have 304 calories per serving? Even the bacon with 1 T. of drippings shouldn't have more than 300 total."