"As a child, I loved coming home from school to the aroma of Mom's meat loaf baking in he oven. I've never tasted another meat loaf quite as good as this recipe." —Emily Dennis Hancock, Michigan
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat meat mixture into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nutmeg; spread over top. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sage Meat Loaf in Taste of Home August/September 2008, p45
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sage Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review