Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
A crisp oatmeal topping adds a different twist to these spring favorites from Diane Gagnon-Fee of Tupper Lake, New York. "Friends with a big rhubarb patch often share their bounty with us," she says. "But you can use frozen rhubarb with the same tasty results."
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice or white grape juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. In another bowl, combine egg, oil, orange juice and peel. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over tops. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from the pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p39
Reviews for Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review