Brown Sugar Rhubarb Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 268 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 11, 2016
EXCELLENT recipe!!!! yummy and moist and plenty of tart rhubarb flavor!!
May 14, 2015
We enjoyed the muffins. I did add cinnamon to the batter also. Don't forget to add the topping before baking. The recipe does not state that.
May 23, 2014
These were very good. The whole family enjoyed them.
Jul 27, 2011
Substituted half of the flour for whole wheat flour. Tasted great!
May 28, 2011
Very good! I used pecans instead of walnuts, just a personal preference
May 8, 2010
enjoyed by the whole family!
May 6, 2010
My whole family loves these muffins, especially my teenage sons!
Jul 28, 2008
Thank you for this recipe. It's wonderful. I have so much rhubarb, and this is a staple! Cindy http://www.jbkpottery.com
Jun 27, 2008
These are very,very delicious muffins. I also bake them for the Farmers' Market that I do and they are the first to go.