Rhubarb Pecan Muffins
I usually make these for breakfast and as a coffee-time snack. I also like using my rhubarb for pies and sauces. My husband and I—we have five children and eight grandchildren—are retired after 50 years of farming. We live simply, relying on our garden. I must be working...we're in our 70's
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nuts. In another bowl, combine egg, oil, orange zest and orange juice. Add to dry ingredients all at once and stir just until moistened. Stir in rhubarb.
- Fill 12 lightly greased muffin cups almost to the top. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 232 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Pecan Muffins in Country Woman March/April 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.