Rhubarb Nut Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 10 muffins
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 307 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 1, 2016
Jun 6, 2015
Very good. I may add a little more rhubarb next time.
Apr 27, 2015
These are really good.
Mar 1, 2015
These turned out very nicely! I made several changes to lighten them up a bit. I also tweaked the batter to yield 12 vs 10 muffins. By changing over some of the oil to flaxseed and using 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour vs all AP flour. I also decreased the sugar content in these as well. I swapped out walnuts and used pecans instead, plush added a few more spices. If you would like to see the lighted up recipe check out my blog: http://www.apinchofluv.com/wordpress/2015/03/01/pecan-crumble-rhurbarb-muffins/
May 28, 2014
These are to die for but oh so wicked in carbs ,calories, and fats.
Jan 26, 2014
Awesome! Perfect muffin recipe, moist, flavorful, delicious!
Jun 24, 2013
Very moist and flavorful. They were a big hit with the family.
Jun 4, 2013
These muffins are really good. Another recipe I have uses too much oil and so the end product is oily and I didn't like that. These are perfect and I like the walnuts in them too. I even added a couple teaspoons of flax seeds. I'm definitely making these again. The topping is tasty too, I like the crunchiness of the brown sugar and walnuts.
Feb 15, 2012
These are delicious! I love that they are low sugar. I add a bit of cinnamon in the batter as well and reduce the sugar for the topping to 1/8 cup. Also use whole wheat flour for an extra burst of healthyness.
Oct 17, 2011
Really good, will definitely make this again!