Nut-Topped Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in strawberries and rhubarb. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- In a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 243 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 23, 2018
I took these to a baby shower brunch and everyone loved them. They are a family favorite.3
May 22, 2018
These are amazing! Very easy to make and turned out perfectly. I used walnuts instead of pecans because that's all I had, and it was still very good. I think the basic recipe would be good with other fruits too!
Aug 18, 2017
Excellent and just what I was looking for. Moist, flavorful and delicious.I did stir a couple tablespoons of sugar into the fruit to sit while I prepared the rest of the ingredients to take the bite out of the rhubarb.The outsides of the muffins were a bit dark for my taste, so I might kick down the heat a touch next time I make these.
Jun 5, 2017
This is a new favorite rhubarb recipe. These muffins are moist and delicious!
Jul 1, 2014
These are to die for. That's what my neighbors said when I brought them to them. I absolutely agree! I love the crumb nut topping and they are so moist. It will be one of my favorite ways to use rhubarb from now on!
Jun 25, 2014
One of our favorite muffins in early summer when the rhubarb begins. Moist, flavorful, and the nut topping makes them a special treat on the breakfast table or just for a nice snack.
May 18, 2014
Wow, these are so good! I made a batch 2 days ago and just baked another batch today. The nut-topped is making a big difference. I baked mine in a stone muffin pan and they were perfect.
Jul 27, 2013
Very good. Would definitely make them again.
Jun 9, 2013
these are wonderful,on last batch i added chopped pecans that was awesome. I think they are just as good cold as warm.
May 31, 2013
These were delicious, I will definitely make them again, so moist and yummy.