- 1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Whipped topping and additional berries, optional
- Dissolve berry blue gelatin in 1 cup boiling water; stir in 1 cup cold water. Add blueberries. Pour into a 3-qt. serving bowl. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add cream and sugar; cook and stir over low heat until dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla. Spoon over blue layer. Refrigerate until firm.
- Dissolve raspberry gelatin in remaining hot water; stir in remaining cold water. Add raspberries. Spoon over cream layer. Chill until set. Top with whipped topping and berries if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Red, White 'n' Blue Salad
"I was intimated to try this at first because of how pretty it looked but I'm glad I took a chance on it. Very easy to put together and very satisfying."
"What a wonderful recipe!!! My niece, Missy, made this for her 4th of July picnic and it was delicious! I must admit that I am not a big fan of Jello, but this salad was delicious! Fruity .... light ...... creamy. Just delicious! I think, for my taste, I would add a little more sugar to the white layer ..... all in all, though .....very tasty!!I'm thinking this could be used for other holidays ..... red (strawberry or raspberry), white and green (lime) for Christmas??? Purple (is there grape flavored Jello??), white and yellow (lemon or pineapple??) for Easter ....... Orange, white and purple for Halloween.... maybe add gummy worms or gummy eyeballs for Halloween??? Possibilties are endless!!"
"This was a particular hit with the kids but everyone liked it. I used disposable clear cups and made individual servings."
"I thought it was very simple, next time i will increase the red layer, and make the blue jello the quick set method as the boiling water was in my opinion too hot at first to get it to set in 1 hr. The freezer helped though. Overall great recipe"
"Came together easily and everyone loved it. A cut above the typical gelatin salad with the added fresh fruit."
"This recipe is always requested for the holidays. It is wonderful. I don't eat gelatin salads except for this one. This dish is a family favorite."
"This is one of the best jello's I have made. Even my husband liked it and he does not even like jello. Great mix of fruit and flavor!"
"This tasted good, but I had trouble with the white layer. I followed the directions to a T but it didn't set up properly. Even after a night in the fridge it was still not quite set. Disappointing, but I will try again.. would be nice in red and green for Christmas."
"This jello salad was both delicious and impressive! We used strawberries instead of raspberries and it turned out fabulous!"
"Really enjoyed making and serving this dish. So pretty and patriotic in the trifle dish! Refreshing, fun and different. A keeper!"