- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Minced fresh basil
- In a large skillet, combine the first six ingredients and, if desired, pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 7-9 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in marinara sauce; heat through, stirring occasionally. Top with cheese and basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Quick Italian Veggie Skillet
"I used Uncle Ben's whole grain rice. I cooked it separately then added it to the skillet. I did not have an issue with dryness. I added home made pasta sauce instead of marinara, and 1/4 tsp oregano instead of Italian seasoning. Otherwise I made it as directed. I think the grated cheese added a nice flavor."
"Five stars for being quick and easy. I prefer regular already-cooked brown rice to instant - that might solve the dryness factor. Becomes more flavorful when you add sausage or bacon bits."
"This recipe is certainly quick and easy to prepare. I added chicken to make it a complete meal. I also added a can of diced tomatoes because the rice was not getting tender and the mixture seemed kind of dry. I gave it 4 stars because the taste lacked "oomph.""