"My Grandma Hunt is almost 90 years old," notes Lucile Proctor of Panguitch, Utah. "Whenever she comes over, she makes her famous Puffed Wheat Balls by the dozen. Her 82 grandchildren and 168 great-grandchildren all love them."
- 12 cups unsweetened puffed wheat cereal
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Place cereal in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring brown sugar, corn syrup and butter to a boil. In a small bowl, combine evaporated milk and sugar; add to boiling mixture. Cook until candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Pour over cereal and stir to coat.
- Shape into 2-in. balls. Wrap individually in plastic wrap if desired. Store in airtight containers. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Puffed Wheat Balls in Taste of Home December/January 1994, p64
Reviews for Puffed Wheat Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review