Crispy Potato Puffs
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makes12 servings (2 puffs each)
- 4 pounds cubed peeled potatoes (about 11 cups)
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 6 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan.
- Mash potatoes, gradually adding milk, butter and salt; stir in cheese. Transfer to a large bowl; refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until firm enough to shape.
- In a shallow dish, combine cornflakes and sesame seeds. Shape potato mixture into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll in cornflake mixture. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until golden brown.
- Freeze option: Place unbaked puffs on baking sheets; cover and freeze until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags. Freeze up to 3 months. To use, preheat oven to 400°. Place frozen potato puffs on greased baking sheets. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 puffs: 248 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 28, 2017
Unique way to serve mashed potatoes! It does make quite a few but I froze so we can have again for another meal.
Aug 13, 2015
Fantastic way to use left over mashed potatoes! I did add about 1 ounce of cream cheese but that was my only change and it made a wonderful crispy outside, creamy interior with NO deep frying. I froze a bunch and made the mistake of trying to thaw a couple before baking - don't bother!! Bake from frozen and bask in the accolades. Thanks so much for the recipe.
Feb 28, 2015
I made extra potatoes and used leftovers to make these. I used a cookie dough scope so they were the same size. Love that they are crispy on the outside and creamy inside. Fast for supper.
Nov 17, 2013
My family loved these! A perfect potato side dish and a great change of pace from mashed or boiled potatoes! Since you can freeze these until you are ready to bake them, the potato puffs are very convenient to make on a busy weeknight! Next time, I'll try adding green onions and bacon bits prior to freezing, for a loaded baked potato taste!
Nov 9, 2013
Recommened My Kid love these..... Ok my wife too. Really suggest making as stiff as possible so careful when orinally mashing not to make too runny
Nov 7, 2013
My family really likes these. I added some cream cheese to boost the flavor. I will definitely make them again.
Oct 25, 2013
These were really good! I also added some sour cream and chives and it added a lot of good flavor! I thought they could have used more salt and some pepper. I added some after they came out of the oven and they were super yummy!! I will definitely make these again!
Oct 22, 2013
These are delicious. They do take some time to make, but are yummy in the end. I added some cream cheese and chives to the potato mixture to kick the flavor up a bit.
Oct 15, 2013
Excellent. They seemed kind of time consuming when l started but well worth it. Everyone loved them, they looked so nice too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.