Cheese Potato Puff
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 12 medium potatoes, peeled (about 5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Minced chives, optional
- Place potatoes in a large kettle; cover with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook until tender. Drain; mash potatoes until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, cook and stir the butter, cheese, milk and remaining salt until smooth. Stir into potatoes; fold in eggs. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. Sprinkle with chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 379 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Apr 1, 2019
This recipe is such a nice change of pace from regular mashed potatoes! I cut the recipe back a bit for the two of us, which worked just fine. We really enjoyed it and I'll definitely be making them again!
May 7, 2017
This is even better when you whip it up until smooth in a sturdy stand mixer.
Apr 15, 2014
I would rate this delicious food five stars, but it is lacking in the cheese and salt department. I also added chives, which made it amazing. I added three teaspoons extra salt, and I plan on tripling the cheese next time
Nov 10, 2013
Love this!!!! It's going into my 'favorites' box!
Mar 25, 2012
We didn't care for this too much. It wasn't awful, but not something I would make again.
Dec 25, 2011
Great with ham for Christmas! I put in more cheese and added the chives before baking. Yum!
Nov 14, 2011
I love being able to pre prepare this dish and cook it later.
Oct 2, 2011
My family enjoys this recipe because it tastes like mashed potatoes and I like it because I can make it ahead. It's comfort food at its best. I also halved the recipe.
Sep 4, 2011
Potatoes for a crowd. The cheese is a nice variation on regular mashed potatoes. I like it with the chives.
Mar 19, 2011
This makes a great pot luck casserole or just for a family Sunday dinner..if it's a special occasion, I crumble several pieces of crisp cooked bacon and add some extra shredded cheese to the top during the last 10 mins of cooking..makes it extra special!