Pheasant and Wild Rice Recipe
Everyone in my family hunts, so we have an abundance of game. This recipe also works well with wild turkey or grouse and even with chicken if you prefer. I love to make this dish on special occasions and for guests.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 6 bacon strips, cut up
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large pheasant, halved or two small pheasants (about 4 pounds)
- In a large saucepan, combine first nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, place flour in oven bag; shake to coat. Place oven bag in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; add the bacon. Sprinkle rice and mushrooms over bacon. Add pheasant. Pour soup mixture into bag.
- Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided. Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Pheasant and Wild Rice in Taste of Home August/September 1993, p35
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pheasant and Wild Rice(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Rice Side Dish Recipes >