Cornish Hens with Wild Rice
This recipe started out as my grandmother's. My mother added the mushroom soup and the green peppers...I added the cheddar cheese. I think this dish represents our region because so much wild rice is grown here.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 bacon strips
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each), halved
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, combine soup and milk. Cook over medium heat until smooth; stir in cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. In drippings, saute onion and green pepper until tender. Add to soup mixture along with wild rice; mix well. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; top with bacon. Combine flour, salt, paprika and pepper in a heavy plastic bag; place one or two hens at a time in bag and shake to coat well.
- In another skillet, Brown hens in oil on all sides. Arrange on top of rice mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 873 calories, 52g fat (18g saturated fat), 234mg cholesterol, 1062mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 48g protein.
Originally published as Cornish Hens with Wild Rice in Country Extra November 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.