Cornish Hens Stuffed with Rice
These moist golden hens are a tradition at our house on Christmas Eve. We think the spiced rice stuffing with cinnamon, sweet raisins and honey goes so well with the birds and makes the meal a special one. -Dorothy Anderson, Ottawa, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until tender; remove from the heat. Stir in the rice, raisins, walnuts, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stuff hens.
- Place on a rack in a large shallow baking pan. Rub remaining butter over skin. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 180°.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed hen: 1073 calories, 69g fat (24g saturated fat), 392mg cholesterol, 504mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 64g protein.
Originally published as Rice-Stuffed Cornish Hens in Taste of Home December/January 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.